Kris and Kari

Kris and Kari
Vegas

Thursday, September 27, 2012

March 11, 1998

I applied for this cool program called Jimmy Insulin.  It is a great program for Type 1 diabetics to mentor & coach others with Type 1.  I applied to be a mentor, and had to submit my "diabetic story", which is below.  I thought I would put it on here too.  Some of the references you can see are now updated (last paragraph about trying for children).  I wrote this letter at the beginning of 2012.

This is a picture of me one month before my diagnosis.  I was drinking water like crazy, all day, every day.



My story started in 5th grade, and just like any other kid, I loved to play outside, run around, and had a wild imagination.  Things slowly started changing and these strange symptoms were starting to worry my family and teachers.  I started drinking water excessively, which led to frequent bathroom trips.  My skin was so dry and dehydrated that I started getting rashes and bleeding from my knuckles.  The weeks before my diagnosis, I would take afternoon naps, which was not normal for me.  One afternoon while napping in my parent’s room, I wet the bed. Ten years old is too old to wet the bed, and my mom decided to take me to the doctor.  It was March 11, 1998.  My mom took me in and out of school 3 times that day to get various tests done.  I first went to get my urine tested, then pulled out again to get my blood tested, then pulled out once more when the blood results came back.  She picked me up from school, and while wiping her tears, said, "It is official, you have Type 1 Diabetes."  I might have cried myself if I really understood what it was.  In the car I remember asking my mom, "So what happens today? I just have to go home and look for sugar free things in the cabinet?"   I thought diabetes was simply a disease where you will be fine if you don’t eat sugar.  I did not know how complex it would be.






I was in the hospital for one week. I remember my first insulin shot the nurse gave.  The needle was much bigger than the ones I would use at home, and it was in the stomach, which is my least favorite spot to inject.  After the shot, I looked at my mom and simply said, “I don’t want to.” We both cried. 
My mom and dad were so sincere during this time, and often said if they could take this disease from me they would.  I would ask why this happened to me, and they said, “You were given these challenges because you are strong enough to live this life, and Heavenly Father knew that”.   I took that as a compliment, and remember that being the first smile related with diabetes. 

The first few months of diabetes, was almost fun. It was my “honeymoon stage”, and in a weird way it was new and kind of exciting. That didn’t last too long. I wasn’t bad the next few years, but I was growing, and often found that at times when you do everything you are directed to do, you might still get a high and low sugar reading.  I had two low blood sugars at school, which required attention from an ambulance within a few weeks.  I was later told that one teacher made ignorant comments about how she wasn’t surprised it happened twice, because I do not take care of myself.  That comment made me livid, because those were the days I was trying really hard, and I think that was the start to my rebellious days.

Most diabetics go through a stage where they are too cool for diabetes.  I had the theory that if I felt fine, I was fine, so why would I test?  It lasted several years, and I had several episodes because of it.  I didn’t listen to people trying to help me, because I didn’t feel that anyone understood.  I often thought to myself, “Well, let’s see you deal with diabetes, and see how you would do.”  My left eye today has a blind spot, which I will never get back, even after having Lasik eye surgery.  Ironically, I think losing some sight in my eye is what made me wake up and see how poorly I was treating myself.  I just hope that is the worst result from my rebellious days. 

Today, I work full time in the administrative field, for a company who offers amazing health benefits.  I am active, and often go to the gym.  I was married last year, and my doctor gave me the clearance to try for children.  My husband and I will be hoping for a baby in the next few years.  I would love to be there for a young diabetic who can complain to me about their troubles and I can listen, understand, and most importantly, help them.


I was accepted as a mentor, but this program is still new and growing.  They dont have as many young kids looking for a mentor.



Walk to Cure Diabetes- 1999.  Me, Matt, Megan, and Mom. 


1 comment:

  1. I remember this. I remember you getting sick and passing out in choir. I remember when you found out. I remember finding Ms. William's Diabetic treats when we were in junior high. I remember wishing I could make it all go away...and hating to watch you struggle. I also remember how amazingly strong you were, and still are, and how much I wanted to be like you because of it. You still amaze me, every single day.

    ~Des

    ReplyDelete