Kris and Kari

Kris and Kari
Vegas

Monday, September 24, 2012

Diabeetus



I swore to myself that if I ever got a blog, I wouldn't make it a diary to journal my angry feelings or to vent.  Well, I will try hard, but this one might come off angry here and there.

I'm not sure who reads my blogs, but I bet most people who do, know the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, and know how frustrating both can be.  I am writing this more for me than anyone else.




Type 1:  (This is what I have!!)
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) can occur at any age, but is most commonly diagnosed from infancy to the late 30s.  In this type of diabetes, a person's pancreas produces little or no insulin.  T1D occurs when the body's own defense system (the immune system) attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.  People with T1D must inject insulin several times every day or continually infuse insulin through a pump.

While it's causes are not yet entirely understood, scientists believe that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.  It's onset has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.  There is nothing you can do to prevent T1D, and-at present-nothing you can do to get rid of it.


-- A type 1 Diabetic is very sensitive to insulin.  Having to continually calculate how much insulin is needed based on many factors, being off by even one tiny unit of insulin in your injection, can cause a high or low blood sugar.




Type 2:  (Most people mistake me for having this, majority of diabetics are type 2) Type 2 diabetes typically develops after age 40, but can appear earlier, and has recently begun to appear with more frequency in children.  In this form of diabetes, the pancreas still produces insulin, but the body does not produce enough or is not able to use it effectively.  Treatment includes diet control, exercise, self-monitoring of blood glucose, and, in some cases, oral drugs or insulin.


Gestational Diabetes
About 2 to 10 percent of pregnant women develop high blood sugars during pregnancy. Although this type of diabetes usually disappears after the birth of the baby, women who have had gestational diabetes are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

Common myths that frustrate me:

- "I can cure my diabetes by diet and exercise".  Really...?  I was active in high school and a personal trainer for years.  There were a few years where I was very strict with my diet, too.  If this myth were true, I would be cured by now.  Believe me.

- "I got my disease by eating too much sugar/junk as a kid"   Truth: Bull crap.  We couldn't afford sugary foods.  Yeah, my mom worked and still works in a bakery, but grocery store bakeries are nasty. I still find that food repulsive, and have never enjoyed it.  Sorry to the store owners.. I just don't like that food.  Plus, if that were true, do you know how many more kids would have it?  I was the kid with tuna on wheat bread at lunchtime.  I was jealous of the kids with Lunchables/ Capri Suns/Kool aid squeezies and Hostess snacks.  It was just a luxury we never got.


- "I cannot eat any sugar or fast food"-- No I do, and I enjoy it, and my sugars are great.  It is hard, yes.  I wish the only worry for me when eating fast food were things like: "Will this give me love handles?", and "Will it rot my teeth?".  If given enough notice, I can test my sugar and give the proper amount of insulin (which is a LOT--but often worth it) and enjoy the same food all of you do.

- "I need to look at the amount of sugar grams on every label"  -- I rarely look at how much sugar is in something.  However, it is important that I do look at Carbohydrate grams.  Carbohydrates break down into sugars when you eat them, and that is the most important thing to me on food labels.

"Diabetes Management is a full time job that I didn't apply for, didn't want and cannot quit.  It involves what, when, and how much I eat, while also factoring in exercise, medication, stress, blood sugar monitoring, and so much more--each and every day"  



I hope type 2 diabetics do not get offended reading this.  They have their own struggles, and it also sucks.  Just because they are not required to test as much, or often don't need nearly the same amount of medication, it is still frustrating for them.  It is possible for type 2 diabetes to run in your family.  They can get type 2, but not be considered "obese", while other bigger and more unhealthy people just get lucky.

But honestly, I would trade for type 2 in a heartbeat.  They are just so different.  If my pancreas could make just a little bit of insulin, dealing with diabetes would be much easier!

Diabetic Etiquette Cards -- would never get these, but I wish  I could pass them out.


So please, do not judge me, or think I am not taking care of myself by eating a cookie.  I love cookies and if I get a chance to eat them, I will.

Also keep in mind, the amount of insulin I am told to give changes often, especially during pregnancy.  Your body changes as you grow, especially a woman's body.   My body needs more insulin now than it did as a kid, and needs more now that I am pregnant.  But this is all figured out by sugars starting to trend high or low.  That means a lot of highs and lows.

With that said, I can do everything right by the books, do everything I am told to do exactly when I am told to do it-- but occasionally I will still get a high blood sugar or low blood sugar, just by the body changing.  Please don't ever think to yourself, "I'd be able to handle it better" or "Is it really that hard to take care of yourself?"--- because yes, yes it is.



OK, sorry with all the venting -- I will try to end on a positive note.


Below is a picture of my grandpa's older brothers and sisters.  We believe the older girl died from Type 1 Diabetes-- it was before insulin was founded and there was not enough knowledge to take care of it.   I am happy to be alive when I am!


- I am very very thankful for the love and support from my family.  Especially from my husband and mother who have both dealt with the many mood swings my diabetes contributed to.

- One time I went low during class, which totally sucked, but it was during a test I wasn't ready for.  I had to retake the test the following week.  The bright side -- I got an extra week to study. 

- I have met great people along the years.  As a child, I attended "Diabetic Camp".  I know, sounds way cheesy, but it was so much fun, and those are some great childhood memories for me.


The best part of this picture is the shirt.  I was just making fun of my sister for wearing this in an old picture, and here I am making my debut at Diabetic Camp with a hard core, sunflower, ying yang shirt- AND it was a third time hand me down. hahah. 



- I do take care of myself.  I always wonder if I didn't have diabetes,  would I not treat my body as good as I do now?  Would I care how much soda I drink or how many cookies I eat?  Maybe I wouldn't, and with not having to worry about what I would be putting in my mouth, maybe I would have no limit of what I put in it.



When I lived with my nieces, they would love to watch me get ready and do my make up.  One night before I started getting ready, I tested my blood sugar and had a very frustrating and unexpected reading.  I was sad and my emotions were showing.  My niece came up, saying nothing, and simply kissed me on my head.  I asked her to do it again so I could take a picture.  I hope I never forget that night.



Famous people with TYPE 1 diabetes
Click here for low blood sugar symptoms.
And here for high blood sugar symptoms




1 comment:

  1. hahaha, the sunflower ying yang shirt!! I remember wearing that and thinking it was one of my better shirts. HA! Good post Kari, I didn't think it was negative, very informative. Also the old time picture is Great Grandma McArthur's brother's and sister, so it would be Grandpa's Aunt and uncle's not brothers and sister. The older girl is Ivy.

    ReplyDelete